Science has shown that parents of successful children do these 8 things:
- Expose their children to different experiences
- Support them not only on an emotional level but also on an intellectual level
- Ensure that they have a positive and strong relationship with their teachers
- Give their children opportunities to develop their abilities in a subject or hobby
- Praise their effort rather than their ability
- Encourage their children to ask questions and take intellectual risks
- Avoid using labels like ‘gifted’ and ‘highly intelligent’ as these can become burdensome
- Have their children’s abilities tested
At Go Fish Education, I offer a wide range of educational assessments which can identify, using standardised means, your child’s strengths in maths, reading, spelling and comprehension. This psychometric assessment will show you exactly where your child is in comparison with children of his/her exact age and confirm exactly where their strengths and weaknesses are. They can also provide you with a reading age of your child so that you can ensure that reading materials are matching their ability and offering them challenge in their progress.
Assessments can either take place at your home or in the learning zone at Go Fish Education. Once your child has completed the assessment, it will be taken away to be analysed and you will receive a full written report. The time scale for this is 2 weeks.
Salford Reading Test
This assessment provides an accurate reading age for your child and a standardised reading score.
Wide Range Achievement Test
The widely respected WRAT-4 accurately measures the basic academic skills of word reading, sentence comprehension, spelling, and maths computation. This psychometrically sound assessment of a child’s important fundamental academic skills serves as an excellent initial evaluation, re-evaluation, or progress measure for any student.
Dyslexia and Dyscalculia Screening
The Salford Reading Test and WRAT assessments may indicate that your child would benefit from dyslexia or dyscalculia screening which are both available at Go Fish Education.
Parents often comment that through the above assessments, they have a clearer understanding of where their child is at in terms of a standardised score and therefore feel empowered to discuss their child’s progress and achievement more confidently and can provide any additional educational provision in a more targeted and personalised way.
Please contact me to find out more about this popular service or give me a call on 07715 394920 to discuss further.